Thing 11 – some reflections

Yay!  I am just managing to keep up with all the “Things”.  It was the last two that really had me worried as they were the most uncomfortable to do. Anyway I managed to leap the hurdle and feel a lot better.  I suspect that a lot of the problem is that I give these thing a go but probably should practice them a bit more.  It really is an old adage but still true today that we “use it or lose it”.  I know from my other blog entries that the things I use most frequently are the ones that I am most comfortable with.  But which came first?  Did I continue to use something because it felt easy or was it because it was very useful and I made the effort to use it?

Some of the ‘things’ that are coming up are really interesting and will bring me back in to my comfort zone, although I am sure that there are things that I can still learn about these activities etc.  There are a couple of things  that would be useful for people to know about but are not represented – reader development aids – but I am sure that I can slide them in to one of my blogs at some point.  This course is full of fascinating topics but it cannot cover the full range of ‘things’ that we need as librarians/information specialists, however it does provide an excellent basis for increasing our knowledge and importantly is a brilliant way of networking with colleagues from a wide range of disciplines.

I have just gone back and read the information about this particular ‘thing’ and I really liked the bit about procrastination.  As someone who is ‘semi-retired’ I have control over what I do and also when I do it and it is very easy to leave things for later.  Reading this has made me start a process that I have been meaning to do for ages and I have joined the Society for Editors and Proofreaders.  This is a precursor to doing a couple of online courses to train as a proofreader, something I have wanted to do for several years now.  I am one of those infuriating people who notice spelling mistakes on shop signs, so I hope I can manage this course.  No doubt I will be blogging about the experience later on.

One thought on “Thing 11 – some reflections

1. Margaret, I find you so interesting, I love your blog posts. Yes, we had to really choose what things we could cover and it is best to do a few well, then try to overload the participants. I’m delighted you used the reflective thing so effectively.
    Stephanie